Can You Receive Workers’ Comp Benefits for Chronic Pain?
Picture of osterbauerlaw


Can You Receive Workers’ Comp Benefits for Chronic Pain?

If you have chronic pain from a workplace injury, you may qualify to receive workers’ compensation benefits in Minnesota. While establishing the source of chronic pain could be difficult, the fact remains that many workers do suffer from the condition due to their jobs.

Chronic Pain: Is It Compensable?

In Minnesota, employees can receive workers’ compensation benefits for all injuries that occur arising out of and in the course of their employment. In other words, there needs to be a causal connection between employment and the injury, and the injury needs to happen during the employment period (or as you are going to or coming from work in some cases).

Chronic pain often falls into the compensable category of injuries because people’s injuries do not completely heal quickly. You might begin having chronic pain because of:

  • Disc herniation or other back injuries
  • Degeneration of nerves or muscles
  • Repetitive strain injuries
  • Long-term exposure to chemicals
  • Acute injuries that do not heal well
  • Disabling injuries that cause you to overcompensate with another body part

Trouble Getting Workers’ Comp for Chronic Pain?

In some cases, workers might have a hard time getting workers’ compensation benefits for chronic pain. Insurance companies may blame the pain on an inherited or congenital issue, or they might say the pain comes from a previous non-work-related injury. Further, independent medical examiners could state that the pain comes from an unknown source – not the work injury cited by the employee.

Employees struggling to receive benefits might need help from knowledgeable medical workers. For example, your primary care doctor or a specialist could provide you with a report explaining the cause and source of your pain. He or she might also opine about the long-term treatment you need to receive. You might be able to receive benefits for acupuncture or pain-relieving treatments. In addition, you may want to talk to a lawyer for assistance filing a claim petition or challenging benefits denials.

Need help getting workers’ compensation for your injury? Joe Osterbauer, Esq. and the Osterbauer Law Firm stand up for injured Minnesota workers’ rights. Joe’s 27 years of workers’ compensation experience and his team’s speedy service combine to get clients the results they need. To schedule a free consultation, visit Osterbauer Law Firm online or call Joe’s office at (612) 334-3434.