Do You Need to Fill Out the Claim Form Your Employer Gave You?
Picture of osterbauerlaw


Do You Need to Fill Out the “Claim Form” Your Employer Gave You?

You just finished reporting your workplace injury to your employer, and your manager tells you to fill out a “claim form” for the insurance company. When you look at the form, you may not be sure how to fill it out or why it is important. Here is what you need to know.

Your Employer, Not You, Must Fill Out a First Report of Injury

The claim form your manager gave you is probably a First Report of Injury form. The state of Minnesota requires your employer to fill out the form and send it to the workers’ compensation insurance company after you suffer a workplace injury. Note that you, the employee, do nothave to fill out the form.

The First Report of Injury asks for some information that only your employer would know, such as the insurance company policy number. In addition, your employer should be the one to communicate your claim to the insurance company because it owns the policy. However, you should ask for a copy after your employer fills the form out.

You Do Need to Communicate with Your Employer

Even though you do not need to fill out the First Report of Injury yourself, you do need to communicate with your employer about the injury. Your employer will need to know information such as:

  • How you are injured
  • When the injury occurred
  • What you were doing before the injury
  • Which medical treatment you have received
  • Whether you need continuing treatment
  • If you have any work restrictions

Your employer will use this information to fill out the First Report of Injury. Communicating it effectively to your employer could help you avoid problems with getting benefits later on.

What If the First Report of Injury Is Wrong?

If your employer fills out some incorrect information on the First Report of Injury, you should let your employer and the insurance company know as soon as possible. However, this can be tricky because you do not want to compromise your claim for benefits when talking to them. Consider talking to a lawyer before you communicate any errors on the claim form.

Need help getting workers’ compensation for your injury? Joe Osterbauer, Esq. and the Osterbauer Law Firm stand up for injured Minnesota workers’ rights. Joe’s 27 years of workers’ compensation experience and his team’s speedy service combine to get clients the results they need. To schedule a free consultation, visit Osterbauer Law Firm online or call Joe’s office at (612) 334-3434.