First Steps for Injured Workers in Minnesota
Picture of osterbauerlaw


First Steps for Injured Workers in Minnesota

Have you been injured at work in Minnesota? Do you have questions about what to do next? Learn about your first steps to take as an injured worker.

  1. Report Your Injury

To obtain compensation and reimbursed medical care for your injury, you must report it to your employer. Tell your manager, supervisor, or another person in charge about the injury. You also could speak to someone in the Human Resources department. If possible, make your injury report in writing so that you can keep a copy.

  1. Follow Up with Your Employer

After you report your injury, your employer should fill out a First Report of Injury form and send it to their workers’ compensation insurance company within 10 days. This form alerts the insurer that you were injured. The insurer will then investigate your claim and determine whether the claim is accepted or denied.

Follow up with your employer to get a copy of the First Report of Injury form. Your employer should give you another document called the Minnesota Workers’ Compensation System Employee Information Sheet. To check with the insurance company about the status of your claim, get its contact information from your employer.

Also, if you are off work because of the injury, keep your employer informed of your ability to work. Your doctor can give you doctor’s notes listing a projected return to work date. You should send copies of these notes to your employer regularly.

  1. Get Medical Care

Seek out the medical care you need for your injury. Under the law, your employer must provide you with medical care through their chosen doctors if needed. When visiting the doctor, be sure to get doctor’s notes for each visit. Keep track of when you visit the doctor, your mileage for travelling there, and any parking fees you pay. Inform your employer and the insurer if your doctor gives you any work restrictions.

  1. Claim Denied? Seek Legal Help

The insurer will notify you whether your claim for benefits has been accepted or denied. “Accepted” means that the insurer will pay wage-loss benefits and reimburse you for medical costs. “Denied” means that the insurer does not agree with you that your injury was work-related. When a workers’ compensation claim is denied, you need to file a special petition to challenge the denial called an Employee’s Claim Petition. At this point, you may want to seek out legal help. A lawyer can help you complete and file the petition.

Need help getting workers’ compensation for your injury? Joe Osterbauer, Esq. and the Osterbauer Law Firm stand up for injured Minnesota workers’ rights. Joe’s 27 years of workers’ compensation experience and his team’s speedy service combine to get clients the results they need. To schedule a free consultation, visit Osterbauer Law Firm online or call Joe’s office at (612) 334-3434.