When you get injured at work, seeking workers’ compensation benefits may be the last thing on your mind. Instead, you are worried about:
- The extent of your injury
- Medical appointments
- Medical costs
- Missing work
- Paying the bills
- The toll on your family
You will be glad to hear that workers’ compensation benefits can help you ease several of those worries. You could receive wage loss benefits to replace some of your lost wages when you cannot work or have reduced wages, medical benefits to pay for care and recovery, and rehabilitation benefits to help you return to your old job or a new job.
But How Do You Get Started with the Benefits Process?
Here are the steps you need to follow to start getting benefits. Keep in mind that if you run into difficulties with the insurance company, you should reach out to a workers’ compensation lawyer for help. He or she can talk to the insurance company for you, make legal arguments that you should receive benefits, and generally make your life easier. But first, follow these steps:
- Report your injury to your employer as soon as possible. Save any medical bills.
- Make sure your employer gives you a “First Report of Injury” form. The employer also sends it to the insurance company.
- Watch for a notice in the mail from the insurance company. This will tell you whether your benefits have been granted or denied.
- Send medical bills to the insurance company or tell your doctors to forward them. Make sure doctors know you have a workers’ comp claim, so you should not be billed directly.
- If benefits are granted, the insurer will pay your medical bills and send you checks for wage loss benefits.
- Return to work when you are healed, or ask for rehabilitation benefits if you are having trouble returning.
- If benefits are denied, you can work with a lawyer who will help you dispute the denial.
Need help getting workers’ compensation for your injury? Joe Osterbauer, Esq. and the Osterbauer Law Firm stand up for injured Minnesota workers’ rights. Joe’s 27 years of workers’ compensation experience and his team’s speedy service combine to get clients the results they need. To schedule a free consultation, visit Osterbauer Law Firm online or call Joe’s office at (612) 334-3434.