Can You Get Workers’ Compensation as a Salaried Manager?
Picture of osterbauerlaw


Can You Get Workers’ Compensation as a Salaried Manager?

An employee who get injured at work might worry about getting workers’ compensation if he or she is a salaried manager. Fortunately, Minnesota law allows all kinds of employees to receive benefits after workplace injuries.

Which Kinds of Employees Qualify for Workers’ Compensation?

It doesn’t matter if you are a salaried manager or an hourly minimum wage worker – you can get workers’ comp for an injury at work. The way you are paid and the amount you make does not affect available benefits at all, except the amount of wage loss benefits. Instead, Minnesota law distinguishes between employees, who can get workers’ comp, and independent contractors, who cannot.

How Does Workers’ Comp Help Managers?

Minnesota workers’ compensation provides three main kinds of benefits: payment of medical expenses, wage loss benefits, and vocational rehabilitation. Wage loss benefits kick in when you have to take time off work to recover from an injury or if you get paid less when you return to work. You also can receive wage loss benefits if you have to stop working altogether. Vocational rehabilitation helps people return to work or find new jobs.

Can Managers Change Jobs After Workplace Injuries?

Some managers might have difficulties when they return to work because they cannot perform at the same level as before their injuries. This could lead to declining results or negative performance reviews. Managers may need accommodations or have doctor-imposed restrictions that employers need to follow. The workers’ comp system, as well as lawyers for employees, can help managers handle all of these needs as they go back to work.

In some cases, it makes more sense to actually change jobs or take a non-managerial position after a serious injury. People who have to take lower-paying jobs due to their injuries can receive wage loss benefits that make up for the difference in their salaries. But if you voluntarily take a lower-paying job unrelated to work restrictions or injury-related issues, you probably can’t get the benefits. Talk to a lawyer in your area to find out more about changing jobs.

Need help getting workers’ compensation for your injury? Joe Osterbauer, Esq. and the Osterbauer Law Firm stand up for injured Minnesota workers’ rights. Joe’s 27 years of workers’ compensation experience and his team’s speedy service combine to get clients the results they need. To schedule a free consultation, visit Osterbauer Law Firm online or call Joe’s office at (612) 334-3434.